Matthews (Sussex) Limited were contracted by the Department for Education through Jones Lang LaSalle to undertake the demolition and enabling works to the reception and teachers area at Ark Soane Academy in Acton. The project had a number of constraints, tight access and working next to a live school. The works included the removal of asbestos materials and then CFC containing insulation panels. The works began by hand and once the eastern building was back to a frame a small 14t excavator was employed to carry out the mechanical demolition. The project programme of 8 weeks was achieved with time to spare and additional works including utilising our in-house environmental department to undertake soils testing and analysis.
Working next to a live school in an incredibly tight area were all major considerations. Consultations were undertaken with the school to minimise disruption to the pupils during exam time.
Scope of Works
- Assume the role of Principle Contractor
- Establish adequate site welfare facilities
- Carry out pre-condition survey
- Internal Soft Strip
- Asbestos Removal
- Air quality monitoring
- Hazardous waste removal
- Demolish superstructure
- Demolish and remove substructure
- Remediate and remove soils contaminated with asbestos / hydro carbons and heavy metals
- Leave site in a clean, tidy and safe condition on completion